My Photo
Name:
Location: Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland

I'm from Montreal, Canada originally, but moved to Switzerland in 1991.

Friday, March 09, 2007

GROWING UP

While Sue is writing about the trials and tribulations about toilet training, I'm kind of at the other end of the spectrum. All of you readers out there with little girls, take notice: it ain't easy letting them grow up. I'm convinced that raising boys is easier than raising girls. I'm not implying that it's a piece of cake with boys, because I know the time will come when Dylan drives me to distraction. But on the whole, I believe boys are easier. They're not bitchy and two-faced and back-stabbing like girls can be (all you parents of girls are thinking what right I have to say such things and THEY'RE little girls will NEVER be bitchy, two-faced or back-stabbing. However, I speak from experience. As soon as your little angels start school, they too will change). Boys get into fights, sure, but they tend to blow up, maybe get physical, then it's over. No holding grudges. Later, when they become teenagers, they become sullen, angry and silent, maybe a bit more physical, but I don't think they go through the same heart-breaking time as girls. Luckily Kolina isn't quite that far. There have been no tears over boys and luckily she has a great little body and doesn't bawl her eyes out because she thinks she's fat. Actually, this is not what I had planned to blog about today! It just kind of spilled out. The actual subject was: "I Think Kolina's Getting Her First Kiss Tomorrow." Kolina's very good friend Adrienne is having a birthday party tomorrow. She turned 13 today. She has a 16-year-old brother called Dominic. Last summer, Kolina spent the day with Adrienne and they went to a pool. Dominic and a couple of his friends joined them. When we picked Kolina up that evening, she was gushing about a friend of Dominic's whose name I do not know, but everyone calls him Pingu. Whatever. Kolina thought he was cute and she and Adrienne no doubt discuss him frequently. Earlier today, I called Adrienne to say Happy Birthday and to tell her Kolina is really looking forward to the party tomorrow. They're going bowling. And since Dominic is going too, he's allowed to bring a friend. You guessed it: Pingu. Adrienne told me that last summer, the gang of them were playing some game at the pool which Kolina lost. Apparently she had taken a dare and hasn't "cashed it in" yet. Apparently Pingu remembers what the dare was and is planning on collecting. The dare was for Kolina to kiss Pingu. Kolina hasn't mentioned it, although she knows Pingu will also be bowling tomorrow. I bet she's forgotten. Adrienne begged me not to tell Kolina, which I agreed to. I wish I could be a fly on the wall at that bowling alley!

(I remember being in Grade 6 and playing Spin the Bottle at a party and "having" to kiss a boy who I had a crush on. Secretly I was thrilled, but of course played it cool and acted like it was SUCH a waste of my time. Lisa, that was at a party at Robbie Waddell's house and I had to kiss JAMES TAYLOR!)

So you see Sue and Lisa, your time will come. By then I will no doubt have written a book on the subject. You guys will of course get a free copy!



5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

First kisses, dares, boys ... ah the memories come rolling back. Be sure to let us know the outcome!

2:58 PM  
Blogger Yvette said...

I tell ya, I'm reliving it all!

3:14 PM  
Blogger Sue Matthews said...

I cannot wait to get a copy of that book! I'm already dreading the pre-teen and teen years. I've spent too many years working with teenagers to expect my daughter to sail through those years without any trouble. I also remember my own teen years too well...

If only I could fight the potty training battle forever!

5:30 PM  
Blogger Those who serve the little dictatrice. said...

Ah, yes I remember that party! James?!!? HA!!

I have a sinking feeling I may need your book sooner, rather than later.

Our "angel" has been "blessed" with a HUGE amount of character! She is already potty training herself ... at not yet 2 ... and is trying to get rid of her little cousins diapers every chance she gets. YIKES! GIVE ME STRENGTH!

I will be following the "Kolina chronicles" avidly!

8:16 PM  
Blogger Yvette said...

Hey Lisa, do you remember the "James D. Taylor surveys"?

4:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home