My Photo
Name:
Location: Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland

I'm from Montreal, Canada originally, but moved to Switzerland in 1991.

Tuesday, January 30, 2007

DO PEOPLE THINK I'M A PIG? THEY PROBABLY DO NOW!

It's Opinion Time folks! I need to hear what you all think about this. File it under the heading "Is It Just Me?"

I went out for dinner with 3 girlfriends last night. Had a great time, wonderful food, lots of laughs. Of course we spent a lot of time talking about our kids. Somehow we got on the subject of clothing and how often our children change their clothes. Two friends wash their kids clothes after one wearing, whether they're dirty or not. I, on the other hand, do not. Of course we all wear clean underwear on a daily basis, but my family, for example, wear socks for two days running before putting them in the laundry. Except Andy of course. He's forbidden to wear his smelly sweaty socks more than once. But the kids and I wear shoes or slippers the whole day. We're not out running marathons, nor are we traipsing around the garden in our socks. So we wear them for another day. Moving onto the subject of tops: I'm probably the biggest pig in the house and do have to put on a clean shirt most days. This is because I spend a lot of time in the kitchen and forget to put on an apron. Kolina, except if she drops a forkful of spaghetti down her front, is actually quite clean. She's no longer of the age where they fingerpaint at school. She can usually wear a shirt 2 or 3 days. If she remembers to put on deodorant, that is. If her shirt smells like sweat, of course I'll throw it in the wash. But I'm talking "real" dirt here. Dylan rivals me for being a pig. Mealtimes are quite messy affairs because let's face it, who needs a napkin when you're wearing clothes? A shirt is so handy! So yeah, Dylan does usually require a clean shirt the following day because his clothes really are "soiled." However. If we're lucky and he hasn't wiped his mouth on his shirt, or painted something with it, he will wear it again the next day, because chances are, it won't survive anyway.

My point is, why put clean clothes on your kids every single day if it's not necessary? Is our society so fixated on cleanliness that we're obsessed?

My friends were saying how their kids themselves want clean stuff on all the time. Like fresh jammies every night. One of them said how they give their kids clean jammies every 3 days or so. I was ashamed to admit that I wash pyjamas once a week. My kids are not dirty. They do not crap in their pyjamas. Even if Dylan spills a bit of toast or toothpaste down the front, I just put the top on the radiator and let it dry. He gets the same pyjamas that evening. Who the hell cares if his jammies aren't spotless? I sure don't.

So the question is: Am I pig? Or are my friends extremely picky?

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I do change my socks daily, sometimes twice daily (but this is because of gym workouts). On weekends at home I do change my socks daily. Same goes for tops. Change my pjs twice a week (but I grew up in a house where we changed pjs once a week and sheets once every two weeks).

I do find, more and more, that sometimes people tend to go a little overboard these days with some things.

Personally, it's nobody's business how often you change your clothes or how often you wash, provided you don't look or smell dirty.

7:16 PM  
Blogger Lainski said...

I don't understand this obsession of wearing fresh clothes every day. It's not necessary to wash clothes after every wear - unless of course they're actually dirty. And in fact it's not good for the environment. Just think of all that energy being used washing all those clothes unnecessarily every day.

Here's my rule of thumb!

I change my pants and socks daily - bra will last two days.

Tops in summer - tend to wear just one day but in the winter will wear a shirt two days running.

Jumpers get washed when they're smelly or I know I've worn them several times.

Jeans - after quite a few wears

Gym clothes - after every session.

Bed sheets - I try once a fortnight but sometimes forget.

Towels - I aim for once a week but sometimes slip.

Basically I wash things when they need washing - not just because I've worn them once!

3:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home